The mission of the Interlake Women’s Resource Centre Inc. (“the Centre”) is to provide services and programs for women & their children living in or having left domestic violence situations, in order to help women make informed choices for themselves and their children. The Centre works towards improving the quality of life for women, children, families, and the communities in which they reside.
The purpose of the Centre is to provide front-line services to abused women and their children. These services include and are not limited to crisis intervention, information and referral, advocacy, single and group counselling, and outreach programs. The Centre works with outside resources in order to ensure a continuum of service. The individuals utilizing the Centre identify their needs, which in turn, determine the programs and services of the Centre.
Our Beliefs & Principles
· Individuals should not be forced to remain in an abusive or violent environment due to the lack of safe alternatives.
· Individuals have a right to receive services in a supportive, non-judgmental environment.
· Individuals have a right to receive services, which respect confidentiality and their right to privacy.
· Individuals have the right to receive services, which are sensitive to and respect their cultural and linguistic heritage, spiritual beliefs, physical capabilities, and sexual orientation.
· Individuals have the right to be informed of alternatives and to make self-determined choices for their own life situations.
Our Program Goals
1. To assist individuals to plan and implement ongoing and long-term changes toward personal growth & increased independence.
2. To help individuals learn to make informed decisions in their lives by assisting them to recognize options and make appropriate choices in areas of personal needs & safety.
3. To help individuals identify their needs in areas of parenting, financial management, life skills, and personal growth.
4. To assist individuals to establish and/or strengthen social interaction and support within their community.
5. To build & maintain partnerships with other resources for the development of healthy communities.